[RCD] SAVE ALL ATTACHMENTS

chris# chris# at codewarehouse.NET
Fri Jan 25 22:45:02 CET 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:57:02 +0100, "Raoul Bhatia [IPAX]" <r.bhatia at ipax.at> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 18:35 +0100, Michael Baierl wrote:
>> till wrote:
>> >
>> > I guess it wouldn't hurt to make this configurable. ;-)
>> >

>> I agree, but I would also say that ZIP is the de-facto standard that is
>> supported by all Operating Systems. And why build up something where you
>> can choose between zip, arj, rar, gz, bz2 when practically all do the
>> same and just one is needed?
>>
>> So I would really recommend using ZIP only (using the PHP extension
>> <http://uk.php.net/zip>) to keep the code simple and maintainable.
>
> ack - but making a generic framework where you can substitute .zip with
> something else might not hurt.
>
> maybe there is a possibility to make it in a way, that it can be used as
> a "convert 2 something" tool.
>
> so a zip download might be a "convert all 2 .zip". and in addtion, there
> could be a "convert pdf 2 txt" or similar.
>
> too complicated?

Yes. :)

Seriously. I just got done talking with the developer of pecl-phar. zip support
is right around the corner. To those that do not already have zip support on their
boxen can /easily/ add support for a multi-format archiver for /free/, and do it
quite easily. Let's face it, a brand new winboxen has little support for /many/
things, and those that get a brand new winboxen will be installing all their
favorite tools/utilities anyway. What's so difficult about getting something
as handy as a free multi-format archiver anyway? Besides, it's pretty hard
to get a lot of windows related stuff that isn't packed with winrar. What do
they do then? Get winrar, of course. Right?

Bottom line. Given that /administrators/ will be largely responsible for how
RC works, and given that PHP readily handles all the other compressors.
Doesn't it make more sense to go with what already comes with their PHP/
server base. Then let /them/ decide what packer/unpacker is best suited
for their userbsase?

Just thought it was worth mentioning.