[RCD] test performance, non-sorting imap server -> no sorting?

Horváth Balázs horvath.balazs at wgi.hu
Wed May 21 01:31:33 CEST 2008

I wanted to compare the performance improvements of two promising patches:
Justin Heesemann's (on list: 2008.04.29)
http://detached.gigo.com/rc/gb/cCronKdx/performance-jh1.diff
and
A.L.E.C.'s r1363 sorting optimization (on list: 2008.05.08)
http://trac.roundcube.net/changeset/1363?format=diff&new=1363
<http://trac.roundcube.net/changeset/1363?format=diff&new=1363>

Our IMAP server (Courier) basically supports sorting, so I thought I
just disable the feature to simulatine a Non-Sorting IMAP server.
I did so, by removing 'SORT' from the config.
IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES */SORT/* QUOTA IDLE"

But after that, on RC's interface I can't click the list headers to
trigger sorting.
If I understand well RC should be able to sort anyway, if the IMAP
server can't
then on the PHP way.

I dig deeper, and found that in /program/steps/mail/func.inc (line 137)
in the *rcmail_message_list* function
there's something illogical for me:

    if ($IMAP->get_capability('sort') && in_array($col, $a_sort_cols))

This way if the IMAP server doesn't support sorting RC does no sorting,
but it's not intended to be that way, right?

After removing the first condition everything worked OK with and without
IMAP sort.

So?

--
*Horváth Balázs* 	*Balázs Horváth*
Fejlesztési vezető 	Development Manager

H-1123 Budapest, Alkotás utca 53. (MOM Park, "D torony" II.em)
Mobil: +36/20-971-2904
E-mail: horvath.balazs at wgi.hu <mailto:horvath.balazs at wgi.hu>
Web: http://wgi.hu <http://wgi.hu?adid=145>

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---