[RCD] Hacker Magnet

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Mon Apr 6 16:53:46 CEST 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:23 AM, two hundred wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My apologies for the "hit & run"  but why are hackers looking for
> roundcube on our server ?

Any web app that has known vulnerabilities gets targeted by bots
looking for installs that haven't patched those known vulnerabilities.
RoundCube is just one of many, such as awstats, phpmyadmin, etc.

I've always wondered what would happen on the other end if I took a
Linux distro install iso file and renamed it to one of the files
these bots did a GET for.
However I don't have the spare bandwidth, nor do I want to be the
target of a DoS.

--
Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/