[RCD] Error in SMTP over SSL

Julien Vehent julien at linuxwall.info
Thu Aug 6 12:17:14 CEST 2009

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:07:24 +0200, "A.L.E.C" <alec at alec.pl> wrote:
> till wrote:
>
>> tls://localhost:25 ?
>
> This will not work with Net_SMTP package. Maybe we should prevent this.
>
> - SMTP TLS:
> $rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = 'host';
> $rcmail_config['smtp_port'] = 25;
>
> If server requires TLS then it's enabled. Currently in Net_SMTP package
> there's no option to force TLS skipping.
>

> - SMTP SSL:
> $rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = 'ssl://host';
> $rcmail_config['smtp_port'] = 465;
>
> Port 25 is for plain SMTP, for SSL most often port 465 (or 587) is used.

OK, so to use STARTTLS with roundcube, the postfix server must be
configured with the option  smtpd_enforce_tls = yes, right ?

IMHO, this is dangerous because a lot of MUA and MTA don't support TLS,
and it would then presuppose that I have one SMTP server for roundcube with
TLS enforced, and another one to receive emails from the rest of the
world...

Still right ?

julien