[RCD] Error in SMTP over SSL

Julien Vehent julien at linuxwall.info
Thu Aug 6 13:28:51 CEST 2009

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:20:20 +0200, "A.L.E.C" <alec at alec.pl> wrote:
> Julien Vehent wrote:
>
>>> && strncasecmp($this->host, 'ssl://', 6) != 0
>
> !!!! http://php.net/manual/en/function.strncasecmp.php
>
>> $rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = 'ssl://localhost';

>> // SMTP port (default is 25; 465 for SSL)

>> $rcmail_config['smtp_port'] = 25;

> I'm sure that your postfix does not use SSL on 25 port.
>
>> The only thing I'm sure of, is that this postfix configuration works
fine
>> with thunderbird in TLS mode.
>
> TLS != SSL

My extremely humble excuses for this mistake... after changing the
configuration several times, I had forgotten this ssl://

it works fine now, as shows the capture :
http://www.linuxwall.info/files/starttlsroundcubetrace.pcap.txt

May I recommend that the comments in the main.inc.php explain this issue ?
I am always confused about the difference SMTP makes between SSL and TLS.
It doesn't quite make sense to me to handle the two protocols separately
since one is just the renamed evolution of the other. But this is not
roundcube's problem.

Thanks for you help alec.

Julien