[RCD] SMTP server vs. identity

Axel Naumann axel-naumann at gmx.de
Sun Dec 20 17:08:23 CET 2009

Hi,

from what I understood, there is not much interest in supporting the
configuration of an SMTP server as part of an identity in roundcube.
That's perfectly fine thanks to the plugin system, which can make use of
the smtp_connect hook. But to use it, this hook needs to tell the plugin
what the current identity is, e.g. by passing $from. This approach is a)
sort of obvious and b) has been shown to work here
<http://nixbioinf.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/roundcubemail-0.3.1_multismtp/>.

Attached patch (wrt the trunk) does just that. It simply introduces an
optional argument to connect; it's a stripped down version of above
patch, moving as much as possible into a future (trivial) plugin.

The patch might also fix a general problem where an smtp object exists,
but because smtp_init() was called with $connect == false there is no
SMTP connection. I know roundcube doesn't do it, but it's theoretically
possible - so it should either test for the smtp object being connected
or remove the $connect parameter from smtp_init() altogether.

Please don't take that patch as is - I did not test it at all, it's a
mere suggestion to sketch a possible implementation. I obviously expect
no acknowledgment for it :-)

Cheers, Axel.

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/Ht/Z9BeoZc3/connect_alias.diff