[RCD] Threaded message listing implementation

Nathan Kinkade nath at nkinka.de
Wed Jul 22 16:02:13 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 02:01:13PM +0200, A.L.E.C wrote:
> Chris January wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have written an implementation of message threading for RoundCube.
> > You can find it here: http://www.atomice.com/blog/?page_id=34
> > I have split it into a number of separate patches to make it easier to
> > apply. The patches are against yesterday's SVN trunk. I hope it can be
> > committed, but I appreciate a few things may need tweaking first.
> > Please review it.
>
> Again, good work. It's a "killer feature" for 0.4. A few more ideas:
>
> - I like one click to expand the whole thread (like in Thunderbird2)
> - Maybe it would be better to create 'thread switch' column (specially
> if we implement one click expand)? Also maybe it would be better to move
> message status icon from subject to separate column? Just for better look.
> Threaded messages listing (on your screenshot) is not looking perfect.
> We should work on this.
> - Thunderbird's like tree indicators (those dotted images: - | L) are very helpful

Since this thread got bumped after having been dormant for a long time,
I'll take the opportunity to mention that since Dovecot 1.2 the
threading algorithm for sorting threads via the most recent message in a
thread (not just the thread starter) is no longer referenced by
X-REFERENCES2, but now by REFS:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2009-April/013001.html

Nathan