[RCD] mime problem - excel file as text/plain

till klimpong at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 14:07:11 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Balazs Horvath
<balazs.horvath at weboor.net> wrote:
> Thomas Bruederli, 09.01.22 17:13:
>>> (...)
>>>
>> That server-side mime-type detection seems to cause more problems than
>> solving them. I tend to switch back and just trust the mime-type
>> submitted by the client (when uploading). It always worked well for me
>> but I'm not using Windows...

It has nothing to do with Windows, or Mac, or Linux or OS/2 Warp. It's
a matter of security that clients can say whatever they want when they
upload a file.

> (...)
> I like arekm's solution
> (http://trac.roundcube.net/attachment/ticket/1485311/mime-detect.patch)
> what if we put the list to a external config file, so this can be an option.
> If admin wants, he can override the detection of some extensions.

I like this patch as well, though security "concious" people might
scream. ;-( I wonder if Fileinfo is configured correctly (it takes a
magic file) and maybe that's the issue? Otherwise I wouldn't know why
it doesn't work while a simple file does. They should use the same
magic database in the end.

Till