[RCD] Core Plugins

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:09:54 CET 2009

Ziba Scott wrote:
> I'm hoping we can obtain the best of both worlds (plugins and
> interfaces).  Perhaps by establishing that some plugins are "core" and
> will always exist, other plugins could safely inherit from them and
> implement related plugins without unnecessary duplication.

Good point. Using inheritance the application can make sure that at least
one (ore maybe exactly one) plugin of a certain kind (class) is available.

After some more thinking about those core plugins, I'm not sure if the
plugin approach works well for the address book. Since there can be several
address sources (currently sql and ldap) together, it's not clear to me how
plugin hooks can be implemented here. RoundCube maintains a list of objects
that act as independet address sources and implement the same interface. Or
do you think of habving a hook which creates all these objects?

~Thomas