[RCD] reduce network requests by consolidating icon images

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] r.bhatia at ipax.at
Sat Mar 28 17:20:22 CET 2009

On 28.03.2009 15:27, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> I've been spending a lot of time in Firebug with RoundCube the past few
> weeks.  One thing I've noticed is that there are quite a lot of network
> requests to freshly load the front page.  With the default theme there are
> around 45 separate requests for a little less than 250K.  I was asking
> myself how to reduce the number of requests and was reminded of something
> interesting that I had noticed Gmail doing, and that is to consolidate many
> icons into a single image and then use CSS to position the image as the
> background of a fixed width/height block-level element.
>
> As I went to implement this, I began to realize that not only does this
> approach reduce the number of network requests, but it also seems to
> simplify the code a bit.  With this method the code doesn't have to worry
> at all about images or file names, but becomes somewhat image-agnostic by
> only specifying the *type* of behavior it would like to see in a given
> location.  How that bahavior is implemented then becomes a simple matter of
> CSS.

i think that this is a great improvement and i will try your patch
as soon as i find time to recreate my roundcube dev installation.

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia at ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG         web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office at ipax.at
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15