[RCD] proposed patch to allow Layer 7 (per user) balancing of roundcube traffic

till klimpong at gmail.com
Fri May 8 01:52:28 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Thomas Mangin
<thomas.mangin at exa-networks.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello Ziba,
>
>> This is not to discount the validity of your points, but I would
>> like to
>> point out that roundcube (svn trunk) is ready to be used on more
>> than a
>> single web server.
>
> Thank you for the information. I had not noticed this feature and
> assumed that attachments would cause a problem with load balancing. I
> would still prefer not to put the sessions and attachments in a DB but
> I can see how this is a good way to cluster roundcube.
>
>> Using the database attachments plugin recently merged into head in
>> combination with the already existing database backed sessions, we are
>> able to run one instance of roundcube across many machines with DNS
>> load
>> balancing.
>
> DNS balancing is a good solution but I still believe that the patch -
> and cookie based routing - has its advantages.
> (...)

I think DNS is just the "cheapest" in most cases. Besides you should
probably use a "real" load balancer (like HAProxy or Pound, or maybe
even hardware) to spread out. And because of the availability of those
tools/solutions, I wouldn't necessarily wrap that part into the
application as well.

I don't want to talk you into another solution, but e.g. if one of
your backends fails, the user will be send to it regardless.
Round-robin doesn't safe guard against that, but e.g. a load balancer
would. Pushing attachments and sessions into the database gives you
lots of flexibility (with a trade-off in terms of resources).

But anyway, did you progress with the plugin api?

Till