[RCD] Resply message

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Fri May 22 21:51:38 CEST 2009

Kevin Landers wrote:
> I realize it is not proper netiquette (hopes to avoid that whole
> discussion/debate) - but there is a post in the roundcube forums for
> making such a change.
>
> Go here:
> http://www.roundcubeforum.net/requests/598-signature-above-quoted-text-reply.html#post3200
>
> Kevin L.
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM, till <klimpong at gmail.com
> <mailto:klimpong at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Sandro Pazzi <sandro at idweb.it
>     <mailto:sandro at idweb.it>> wrote:
>      > Hi all,
>      > it's possible to set a property for set signature and cursor
>     before the
>      > message in a reply?
>      >
>      > When we replay many times to an email your new text is in the
>     bottom and
>      > not good for reading.
>      >
>      > Thanks
>      >

>     For starters. TOFU is not proper email.
>     http://www.massey.ac.nz/~tameyer/writing/quoting.html
>     <http://www.massey.ac.nz/%7Etameyer/writing/quoting.html>
>
>     Also, a standard conform signature is prefixed with "-- "  which
>     better mail clients automatically strip on reply.
>
>     Till

I helped a user in IRC with this simple change, not the placement of the
cursor, but the blank lines above the reply.

I'm new to the list, but I did follow / participate back a few years
ago, and this has been a long arduous discussion, about a fairly simple
change.

I certainly understand both sides of the argument, but is it the place
of the client to enforce netiquette, when it goes against the de-facto
reply style of a large userbase?

Personally, I prefer the ability to choose between the two methods,
rather than enforce one, and constantly field questions/patches from
vocal users, and possibly annoy and alienate quiet users.  It certainly
wouldn't put RoundCube in a bad light, and might actually increase adoption.

Dave