[RCD] 0.2.x -> 0.3.x search behavior change

Derek Yarnell derek at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Nov 9 07:03:54 CET 2009

So one of my users noticed that the search has changed a bunch going
from 0.2.x to 0.3.x.  That by default the roll down has only Subject
checked (this used to be subject and sender?).  Well that was all fine
I added a patch to change the default behavior to subject and sender.
However the user also noticed that the Sent folder changed this
behavior to search on the recipient in 0.2.x.  Now in 0.3.x this all
gets to whatever is set by this line in program/steps/mail/func.inc,

$OUTPUT->set_env('search_mods', $_SESSION['search_mods'] ? $_SESSION
['search_mods'] : array('subject'=>'subject'));

First do people believe that this is a good thing that this behavior
is changed (aka is this not a bug)?  Secondly I had two thoughts on
the sent folder behavior. One is that one could just change the
default behavior for that folder(s).  Otherwise you could setup a
preference to choose your default search fields however this may just
really be able to be a global setting and wouldn't really fix the sent
folder problem.

Thoughts?

Derek Yarnell
UNIX Systems Administrator