[RCD] RSS Plugin

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:05:11 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:41, Roland Liebl <roland at roland-liebl.de> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Roland

> the default RSS of Roundcube does not play nice with IE. Also HTTP
> Authentication is missing. I've made a plugin for RSS support. Please test
> it! Any feedback is welcome.

I finally had a look at your plugin and it (almost) works for me. Over
all it looks way too complicated to me. Here are some suggestions:

* Don't use imap_mime_header_decode() because the IMAP extension of
PHP might not be available. Use $IMAP->decode_header() instead.

* You have added loads of code for charset detection and conversion.
rcube_imap returns values already encoded in UTF-8 so you shouldn't
need to care about that. Just make sure that whithin the foreach loop
you set $IMAP->set_charset($item->charset ? $item->charset :
$rcmail->config->get('default_charset', 'UTF-8'));

* Your plugin adds an RSS button somewhere to the page. Why not using
the default way and adding a <link rel="alternate" ...> and let the
browser do the rest? In this case you don't need to worry about skins
and different styles. This could easily be achieved with
  $rcmail->output->add_header(html::tag('link',
    array('rel' => 'alternate', 'type' => 'application/rss+xml',
'href' => './?_action=plugin.rss', 'title' => "RSS Feed")));

* With the recent changes in the svn trunk version you also need to
register the plugin in task "login"
  public $task = "mail|login";

* Personally I don't want to see an extra checkbox on the login
screen. Maybe this could be make configurable.

* Adding $item->from to the subject seems not necessary since most RSS
readers also display the autor-field where we have the from address.

* Why adding numbers to the subjects? These numbers can change if you
delete a message or if new ones arrive and then my RSS reader gets
confused. I'd prefer only to see the subjects.

* And why do you encode all chars with hex-entities? IMO
htmlspecialchars() should do the trick.

It's definitely a good replacement for the crappy RSS output Roundcube
currently offers. Maybe you should rename it to rss_feed for better
understanding. However, feel free to add your plugin to our
repository. I'll definitely remove the rss step from the core codebase
of Roundcube.

Regards,
Thomas