[RCD] Licensing discussion

Chris January chris at atomice.net
Fri Jan 22 22:22:40 CET 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:50:08 +0100, Thomas Bruederli
wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I recently had a few discussions about the license under which Roundcube
is
> published. Currently this is GPLv2 and I think it's time to change it.
>
> Therefore I'd like to share some thoughts with you and invite you to
share
> your opinions about this topic. For me there are three possible
directions
> to go:

To change the licence you will need the agreement of all contributors
(since the current Roundcube code is a derivative work of all their
contributions).

> 1) Upgrade to GPLv3

I would be happy with version 3 of the GPL.

> 2) Switch to AGPLv3

I think this licence may deter some people from using Roundcube because of
the requirement to make source code available to users and therefore may
reduce contributions and bug reports.

> 3) Switch to LGPL

I think the LGPL is inappropriate. PHP (which Roundcube is written in) is
usually distributed in source form. It makes little sense to have LGPL PHP
code.

Regards,
Chris

---