[RCD] how to/what to contribute?

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Sat Jan 23 13:48:14 CET 2010

On 23/01/2010 Albert Lee wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:59:55 +0200, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
> > 22.01.2010 19:12, Francisco wrote:
> >> As a requirement for a software management & engineering class we are
> >> to collaborate in a project to apply some of the concepts we are
> >> learning.
>
> >> The choice was given for us to participate in an open source project.
> >>
> >> I was looking at your list of planned features and was wondering what
> >> of those (if any) or any not listed feature we could take as a
> >> project to work on.
> >>
> >> Ideally we would like to work on a feature that has little or no work
> >> done so far, that way the project can profit the maximum from our work
> >> and we can apply all the knowledge we are being taught.
> >
> > S/MIME and PGP plugins and framework?
>
> +1 for PGP and S/MIME, that's one of the fairly important missing
> features. There is a draft design document on the wiki for how encryption
> and signing might be implemented.

Yes, the design draft is available at
http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/PluginRepository/Encryption

see also the mailinglist discussion at
http://lists.roundcube.net/mail-archive/dev/2009-07/0000143.html

and the ticket at http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1440396

i already spent a lot of hours with thinking about the implementation.
the real showstopper for me was a propper integration of openpgp/mime
into the mime parser from roundcube. you'll have to extend it a lot, as
for encrypted mails, the decrypted part needs to be parsed again, and
that's impossible with the current mime parsing class.

i believe that encryption support for roundcube is a perfect project for
you. it's a challenging task where few or no work has been done yet, and
according to the taskmanager it's a heavily demanded feature.

greetings,
 jonas

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/zz/lTlPIdco/signature.asc