[RCD] Possible performance improvement (UNSEEN)?

A.L.E.C alec at alec.pl
Mon Jun 14 13:56:25 CEST 2010

In IMAP's RFC (6.3.1 SELECT Command) is described a one element of
SELECT command response:

OK [UNSEEN <n>]
             The message sequence number of the first unseen
             message in the mailbox.  If this is missing, the
             client can not make any assumptions about the first
             unseen message in the mailbox, and needs to issue a
             SEARCH command if it wants to find it.

So, I'm just thinking loud. Can we assume that there are no unseen
messages in the mailbox when server doesn't include UNSEEN in the
response? This is true for dovecot, how about others? We could skip one
SEARCH call.

Roundcube Webmail Developer http://roundcube.net