[RCD] New compose screen?

Ryan Horrisberger rhorrisb at ssc.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 25 21:00:32 CEST 2010

My favorite by far is ALEC's http://detached.gigo.com/rc/yd/F3Do0grg/compose-full2.png for the following reasons:

* The headers above the body, means people know how to use it without even thinking, there is no need to scan the page to understand a different format.  It also jives with how we expect to read a  message we receive, with the headers above the message body.

* I love the 'gear' in the lower left corner which hides options that are not often changed, providing a simpler, less cluttered UI.  While it's clear to me that a 'gear' icon is where one could go select options, most of my users would be befuddled, I think a text label of 'options' or the like would be necessary.

*Text labels of Send Now / Cancel are a welcome addition.  Several users are confused thinking the green arrow means send.  Small text labels below all the icons would be a great addition.  It is clear to me what they mean but I regularly have users who don't know the red circle with a line through it means delete etc.

I also think tweaking it slightly to use Phi's version of attachments http://detached.gigo.com/rc/JX/meswyk1/rc_compose.jpg is more visually appealing since most messages don't have attachments, and so it's fitting that the attachments area is small and subtle.

ALEC's compose-full2.png  is a design that makes good use of space, that my users will immediately be comfortable with.  This makes me happy.

--ryan

On Jun 25, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Phil Weir wrote:

> Attached is my idea. It's a mixture of one of the ones from Alec and from
> Marcus. Here are the key points:
>
> *) Full width editor
> *) I used the current way of displaying attachments because I think have a
> box with the grey bar at the bottom makes the element to "strong" my eye is
> drawn to it and it doesn't seem right.
> *) Send/Cancel buttons in the bottom left because that's where they are
> everywhere else in RC and "integrated" into the grey bar
> *) I haven't put a folder is because I am worried the user will find it
> confusing, are they supposed to click on the folders in the list? If they do
> will it save the sent message there rather than in the default location?
> Would it open the folder, and kill the message being composed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil
>

> --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
> The following attachments have been detached and are available for viewing.
>  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/JX/meswyk1/rc_compose.jpg
> Only click these links if you trust the sender, as well as this message.
> --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---

Ryan Horrisberger

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/Mv/Q7rpbuRT/smime.p7s