[RCD] contact groups

Vladislav Bogdanov bubble at hoster-ok.com
Wed Mar 31 10:36:41 CEST 2010

31.03.2010 11:19, A.L.E.C wrote:
> Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
>
>> OK, my main idea - to introduce:
>> * 'groups' - which are supposed to send mail to whole 'group',
>> expandable in compose fields
>> * 'collections' - which are searchable for contacts but user can not
>> send to a whole collection.
>
> Isn't collection == addressbook? Why? We don't need a new being.

Without automatic-addressbook plugin - yes. Here is only one SQL address
book (singular case).
With automatic address book plugin - yes. But having separate tables for
different SQL address books is bad from the design point of view IMHO.

If we simply add 'addressbook_id' field to 'contacts' table (and one
more table with names and flags of that address books) then we can have
as many SQL address books as one may wish. Personal addresses
(read/write/delete/search/group), collected addresses
(read/move/delete), imported addresses (read-only), etc. etc. And all
insert/delete operations whould be replaced with one SQL update
operation if user wants to move address to different addressbook.
Groups support would be limited to address books with 'groupable' flag
set or whatever else.

Vladislav