[RCD] contact groups

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 17:48:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 18:10, Cor Bosman <cor at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Yes, but there also could be e.g. addressbooks with disabled groups
> creation. Mixing members of SQL and LDAP addressbooks could be
> problematic. So, after thinking, we should implement groups "per
> addressbook".
>
> Why is mixing of addressbooks in groups problematic? I can see how someone
> with a company wide global addressbook would want to mix addresses with a
> personal addressbook. Example, team members of a project consisting of
> employees and external people.
> It doesnt directly effect me, but I can see how people might want to mix
> addresses.

But another use case is that also the public LDAP address books
provide groups (e.g. all students of class X) and these groups will
live in the LDAP directory and are read only.

However, the SQL address book could store group members from other
sources but it'll probably not get notified if one of these foreign
records is deleted in its original source. Another possibility is to
implicitly copy the LDAP contact into the SQL address book when adding
it to a group.

~Thomas