[RCD] contact groups

Julien Vehent julien at linuxwall.info
Mon Mar 29 17:28:10 CEST 2010

Thanks a lot, Thomas, for working on this !

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:11:19 +0200, Thomas Bruederli <roundcube at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi devs and list lurkers
>
> The contact groups feature in trunk is not yet finished and there remain
> few questions I couldn't finally answer by myself. Any feedback and
> suggestions are welcome:
>
> 1) Should every address source provide it's own groups? This would mean
> that the groups list will also be replaced when switching between
address
> sources (i.e. SQL address book and LDAP).
> Currently the listed groups only belong to the local address book and
> therefore only contacts from this address source can be stored in
groups. I
> assume that LDAP in general would support groups as well.

Why not importing LDAP contacts locally when adding somebody in a group ?
I assume that if you want to create a group with specific contacts, then
those contacts should be part of your local address book. Does anybody
think this is a wrong assumption ?

> 2) When composing a message, groups are also included in the
> find-as-you-type query and will be simply expanded when selecting them.
> This is the GMail way and has the advantage, that one can still remove
one
> or the other recipient. The disadvantage of this behavior is that the
> recipients field will be cluttered with many addresses. Other mail
clients
> such as Thunderbird resolve the group members when the message is sent.

I like the thunderbird behavior, much easier to send email to several
groups. And if you want to double check the members of a group, you are
free to do it outside of the compose window.

> 3) How to remove contacts from a group? The current implementation just
> removes the contact when hitting "delete" and a contact group is
selected.
> If no group is selected, the "delete" function will prompt the user
before
> finally deleting the currently selected contact.

Where is that located ? Inside the group view or in each contact detail
view ?
Also, I would avoid the word 'delete' when removing a contact from a
group, it gives the user the false impression that he's going to delete the
contact completely. 'remove from group' would be more user-friendly I
think.

Regards,
Julien