[RCD] contact groups

Todd Trann todd.trann at usask.ca
Mon Mar 29 18:05:22 CEST 2010

1. For the moment I'll assume that a user is only logging into RC with
one set of IMAP credentials, and therefore has only one user record.  In
this case, I think this user only wants to have one address book, full
of all their contacts.  Also I don't think that mixing SQL and LDAP
members into one group would make sense.

2. I like the GMail way, expand the group immediately.

3. Isn't there going to be a group list view, so you can see all the
current members of the group?  If so, then the member can be removed
from the group on this page.  This would not delete the contact info for
that group member, it only removes them from the group membership.  Also
you need a cascade delete, so if a contact is deleted, then their
membership in all groups is also removed.

Todd

Thomas Bruederli wrote:
> Hi devs and list lurkers
>
> The contact groups feature in trunk is not yet finished and there remain a
> few questions I couldn't finally answer by myself. Any feedback and
> suggestions are welcome:
>
> 1) Should every address source provide it's own groups? This would mean
> that the groups list will also be replaced when switching between address
> sources (i.e. SQL address book and LDAP).
> Currently the listed groups only belong to the local address book and
> therefore only contacts from this address source can be stored in groups. I
> assume that LDAP in general would support groups as well.
>
> 2) When composing a message, groups are also included in the
> find-as-you-type query and will be simply expanded when selecting them.
> This is the GMail way and has the advantage, that one can still remove one
> or the other recipient. The disadvantage of this behavior is that the
> recipients field will be cluttered with many addresses. Other mail clients
> such as Thunderbird resolve the group members when the message is sent.
>
> 3) How to remove contacts from a group? The current implementation just
> removes the contact when hitting "delete" and a contact group is selected.
> If no group is selected, the "delete" function will prompt the user before
> finally deleting the currently selected contact.
>
> Please let me know your opinions and ideas about the behavior of the
> contact groups in the address book and also in compose mode.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Todd Trann, B.E., B.Sc.
Portal Technical Lead