[RCD] contact groups

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 31 09:59:27 CEST 2010

On 3/30/10 6:02 AM, "A.L.E.C" <alec at alec.pl> wrote:
> Yes, but there also could be e.g. addressbooks with disabled groups
> creation. Mixing members of SQL and LDAP addressbooks could be
> problematic. So, after thinking, we should implement groups "per
> addressbook". Then, would be nice to see groups list below the selected
> addressbook, like this:
>
> - My Addressbook
>     - Group 1
>     - Group 2
> - Shared Addressbook
>     - Group 3
>     - Group 4

We have a variety of address books - a large read-only campus LDAP
directory, the built-in SQL contacts, and a read-only import of contacts
from our legacy webmail. I imagine that our users would want to mix and
match contacts from any of these sources, so it would be nice if the groups
weren't restricted to a single parent resource.

I would actually be fine with groups being somewhat static, in that adding a
contact could unlink it from the source address book. Our existing webmail
app works like that - groups are simple lists of contacts that have no
relation to the contents of the address book. It's not necessarily something
to strive for, but the users seem to be OK with it.

-Brad