[RCD] IDN Domains

A.L.E.C alec at alec.pl
Sat May 22 08:43:42 CEST 2010

On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:09:16 -0300, Carlos Pasqualini
<charly at setionline.com.ar> wrote:

> i have been making some small tests, outside RC, using the library
> provided by http://phlymail.com/en/downloads/idna/download/ and it works
> ok. It only requires the email to be a UTF-8 string, but as i can see,
> RC works on UTF-8 internally already, so it must be not as much trouble
> to implement.

There's also Net_IDNA library at PEAR. I don't know the difference.

> Reading some info in http://idn.icann.org/ i found that at the low level
> the IDN domains are only ascii, it is something like the
> internationalized version of the domain is only for "writing" and "be
> read" by de user, but the core logic of the MUA works only in ascii.
> If this is correct, the IDN support consists only in accept the user to
> write other UTF-8 characters and to translate them to Punycode before
> the core logic of roundcube sees it; in the other hand, whenever a mail
> is viewed, it must pass to the inverse process so the user will see the
> IDN domain in his local alphabet. But again: the core roundcube's logic,
> addressbooks, LDAPs, etc, will see only a "punycode address"...

I think we should use UTF-8 where possible e.g. in addressbook. Then
searching in addressbook will be possible.

--
Aleksander 'A.L.E.C' Machniak http://alec.pl
Roundcube Webmail Project Developer http://roundcube.net