[RCD] Rev 3683 - Skin License Issue

Carlos Pasqualini charly at setionline.com.ar
Fri May 28 15:09:16 CEST 2010

Hi guys!

Thomas:

the change you make to the license of the Default Skin, as i can
understand, makes so difficult for a company to use roundcube for
commercial purposes.

The license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ states that
you have lots of attributions but "Not commercial Use".

I think that roundcube needs to have a "base theme" (GPL, CC-by-sa,
CC-by, etc) from which one can build themes without having legal issues.

Suppose a webmaster, adapting a RC Theme to suit the graphical design of
a given bussiness, with the new license that job cannot use the default
skin as a start base; the new skin needs to be written from scratch!.
For every new version of roundcube, the entire skin needs to be
reviewed.

The other point, i'm even more worried about, is using roundcube as the
webmail solution on a ISP, using the default skin. I'm reading the
entire CC-by-nc license, but if this is a commercial use of the skin...
¿does it fit into the permissions granted by the Skin's license?

i would be less worried if the license was CC-by-sa

regards!