[RCD] Rev 3683 - Skin License Issue

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Sat May 29 13:38:57 CEST 2010

hey,

On 28/05/2010 Carlos Pasqualini wrote:
> the change you make to the license of the Default Skin, as i can
> understand, makes so difficult for a company to use roundcube for
> commercial purposes.
>
> The license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ states that
> you have lots of attributions but "Not commercial Use".
>
> I think that roundcube needs to have a "base theme" (GPL, CC-by-sa,
> CC-by, etc) from which one can build themes without having legal issues.

i agree with you that CC-by-nc is a bad license for the default skin.
For example it's a reason to keep roundcube out of linux/bsd/...
distributions.

i don't know whether relicensing the default skin is an option. if not,
then a new default skin with a more permissive, really free license
would be necessary.

FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora all have roundcube
available as package/port, and they would need to drop/substitude the
skin in order to update the package/port to latest version.

> Suppose a webmaster, adapting a RC Theme to suit the graphical design of
> a given bussiness, with the new license that job cannot use the default
> skin as a start base; the new skin needs to be written from scratch!.
> For every new version of roundcube, the entire skin needs to be
> reviewed.
>
> The other point, i'm even more worried about, is using roundcube as the
> webmail solution on a ISP, using the default skin. I'm reading the
> entire CC-by-nc license, but if this is a commercial use of the skin...
> ¿does it fit into the permissions granted by the Skin's license?
>
> i would be less worried if the license was CC-by-sa

yes, version 3 of CC-by-sa would be good. even better would be a more
permissive license. for debians point of view (as an example) see
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses

greetings,
 jonas

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---