[RCD] Reply to HTML messages in HTML format

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 14:47:27 CEST 2010

A.L.E.C wrote:
> [...]
>
> 3. REPLY: Now we're lacking something here and current behaviour is not
> 100% consistent. So, what we can do? Use htmleditor setting no matter
> what is format of replied message? No. Here's my proposal. We could
> extend htmleditor option to 3-option switch:
> - 'never', (0)
> - 'only on reply to HTML message', (2)
> - 'always' (1).
> I think this is self explanatory. When 0, we'll always disable HTML
> editor, when 1 we'll always enable HTML editor, when 2 we'll enable HTML
> editor only when replied message is in HTML format.
>
> Here I see one backward incompatible change. Currently when
> htmleditor=true and we're reply to plain text message, the editor will
> be disabled.

This sounds reasonable and I don't worry about this little incompatibility.
People can easily change it in their prefs. Also true wour be 1 and
therefore it's more like a fix because one might expect to write HTML
replies already now.

> 4. FORWARD: Here I'm not sure, but I think editor should be set like for
> NEW/EDIT mode. When we implement "forward-as-attachment" we should set
> editor like for NEW message.

Agree. Forward mails according to user settings and with
forward-as-attachment we'd have the message forwarded without any loss.

> ps. in future we could add some per-contact format setting (like in
> Thunderbird).

Not a killer-feature for me. I usually don't care what my contacts prefer
but just write plaintext e-mails.

~Thomas