[RCD] Building a XMPP plugin for Roundcube

Patrick Nagel mail at patrick-nagel.net
Tue Oct 12 08:04:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 2010-10-10 12:24 UTC Julien Vehent wrote:
> I want a XMPP plugin for Roundcube, and have been doing research on how to
> build it. It seems that Strophe.js and jquery would provide a fine
> solution, this is the direction taken by Drupal's DXMPP plugin and a few
> others.

When I first saw Google's instant messaging integration into GMail, I was very
irritated. I had not logged into "My Grand Communication Centre", no, I had
logged into "Google Mail". So why can I chat there? IM is about as relevant to
mailing as taking a photo is to painting.

So, while I'd love to see a "Roundcube WebIM", that can re-use the same
address book, and have the same look and feel, I *really* wouldn't like to see
the two integrated the way GMail does it.

If I want integration of the two (plus a few other great things), I want Wave
(as in Google Wave, or now, Wave in a Box). But until people are able to
handle that kind of communication tool, a few more years will pass, I guess.

Btw., when I first read the subject of your mail, I thought that you want to
create some plugin that can use XMPP to notify about new mail. That would be
something useful, too - and it doesn't require a line of JavaScript. Although
I guess that it would probably be better to implement this kind of thing as a
mail server plugin (e.g. for Dovecot).

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/Nh/KMXYOkT9/signature.asc
 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---