[RCD] Building a XMPP plugin for Roundcube

Rimas Kudelis rq at akl.lt
Tue Oct 12 10:14:37 CEST 2010

2010.10.12 09:04, Patrick Nagel rašė:
> On 2010-10-10 12:24 UTC Julien Vehent wrote:
>> I want a XMPP plugin for Roundcube, and have been doing research on how to
>> build it. It seems that Strophe.js and jquery would provide a fine
>> solution, this is the direction taken by Drupal's DXMPP plugin and a few
>> others.
> When I first saw Google's instant messaging integration into GMail, I was very
> irritated. I had not logged into "My Grand Communication Centre", no, I had
> logged into "Google Mail". So why can I chat there? IM is about as relevant to
> mailing as taking a photo is to painting.

Hi Patrick,

I don't think it's a big problem. After all, it would be a plugin. And
the question of relevance is well, subjective. For example, you can
consider IM as a good alternative for only shortly relevant 1-sentence
emails, which doesn't require any maintenance (as in, cleaning your
inbox). Imagine you want to go for a lunch with a few colleagues from
another part of the building. You can discuss the place in an email
thread (which will inevitably fork into subthreads at some point), or
you can simply start a group chat. Guess which is more convenient. ;)

Rimas