[RCD] Reply to HTML messages in HTML format

Patrick Nagel mail at patrick-nagel.net
Wed Oct 6 13:31:19 CEST 2010

Hi Alec,

On 2010-10-06 08:47 UTC A.L.E.C wrote:
> I'd like to implement this feature, but maybe we could also do some
> unification in editor type handling. Let's see what we should do in
> compose modes:
>
> 1. NEW: Here we're using htmleditor option, to enable/disable HTML
> editor. No problem here.
>
> 2. DRAFT and EDIT-AS-NEW: Here we should use format of draft/edited
> message. No problem here.
>
> 3. REPLY: Now we're lacking something here and current behaviour is not
> 100% consistent. So, what we can do? Use htmleditor setting no matter
> what is format of replied message? No. Here's my proposal. We could
> extend htmleditor option to 3-option switch:
> - 'never', (0)
> - 'only on reply to HTML message', (2)
> - 'always' (1).
> I think this is self explanatory. When 0, we'll always disable HTML
> editor, when 1 we'll always enable HTML editor, when 2 we'll enable HTML
> editor only when replied message is in HTML format.
>
> Here I see one backward incompatible change. Currently when
> htmleditor=true and we're reply to plain text message, the editor will
> be disabled.
>
> 4. FORWARD: Here I'm not sure, but I think editor should be set like for
> NEW/EDIT mode. When we implement "forward-as-attachment" we should set
> editor like for NEW message.

I like your proposal. I think this backwards incompatibility is no big deal.

> ps. in future we could add some per-contact format setting (like in
> Thunderbird).

I always thought the per-contact format setting was overkill - something
nobody actually uses. Either you have your principles and only write plain-
text messages, or you don't care and use the default setting (which sends
mails in both plain-text and HTML version, AFAIK).

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/Mh/FkMIRAOK/signature.asc
 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---