[RCD] Mail-Reply-To Translation

Rimas Kudelis rq at akl.lt
Mon Oct 11 13:04:00 CEST 2010

2010.10.11 12:09, Dafydd Tomos rašė:
> On Oct 11, 2010, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>> That I absolutely agree with. Header names should be left untouched. I
>> even think that perhaps they shouldn't have ended up localizable at all.
> They're only used for display purposes aren't they? Reply-To is such
> a well-known header that it seems ok to translate it, just like From
> and Subject. In Welsh at least, that header translates very easily.
>
> Other software like Thunderbird have translated labels for headers
> (and don't bother with hyphens as they're only there for display)
>
> Mail-Reply-To and Mail-Followup-To is actually a bit harder to translate
> (without creating a very long header name) so that's at least an
> argument not to translate.
>
> But technically, I can't see a reason why the displayed values
> shouldn't be localizable.

I differentiate "Reply To:" from "Reply-To:". The former is informative
text, meanwhile the latter is just a header name.

Consider the aforementioned situation with "Reply-To:" and
"Mail-Reply-To:" as separate headers. While there are two of them, only
one will be used when actually replying. The content of that header
should be shown next to the "Reply To:" text, regardless of what the
actual header name is. OTOH, once I click the details arrow, contents of
both headers should be shown, along with all other headers.

To rephrase it, as long as "Reply To:" is a semantic label meaning "the
address to reply to by default", I see no problem translating it. But
it's not the same thing as the header name. Real header names should IMO
be left untouched.

I hope I made myself clear, feel free to ask for clarification if I didn't.

Rimas