[RCD] Is it possible to use a separate filter for searching members of LDAP contact group?

Zhang Huangbin zhbmaillistonly at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 08:25:01 CEST 2011

Hi Andreas,

Sorry for your late response.

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Andreas Dick <andudi at gmx.ch> wrote:

> To improve your feedback: please give me the informations:
> - what server do you use?

I'm core developer of iRedMail[1] project, it's a free and open source mail
server solution, works on 7 major Linux/BSD distributions.

With iRedMail, you can store mail accounts in OpenLDAP or MySQL.
We have our own OpenLDAP schema to store mail accounts:
http://code.google.com/p/iredmail/source/browse/iRedMail/samples/iredmail.schema

> - homebrew, public, commertial?

iRedMail should be considered as public + commercial, many users are running
iRedMail on production servers.
Success stories: http://www.iredmail.org/stories.html

> - what schema do you use for the 'memberOfGroup' attribute? kind of
> standard?

OpenLDAP has a default attribute "member" for membership, you must use full
dn as value. If you moved an object to another container, you have to update
value of attribute 'member'. It's not flexible enough.

We create our own attribute "memberOfGroup" for this purpose, use email
address as value, each email address can identify an mail user object. So
that you don't need to care about full dn.

[1] iRedMail: http://www.iredmail.org/