[RCD] SMTP settings override via Identities plugin

Florian Mutter elm at skweez.net
Tue Aug 16 20:18:18 CEST 2011

Am 12.08.2011 um 21:05 schrieb Thomas Bruederli:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 17:15, Florian Mutter <elm at skweez.net> wrote:
>> I would like to write a plugin that enables the user to specify an external
>> SMTP server for every identity. But there are some questions I got.
>>
>> I startet and used the identity_form hook to inject the additional form
>> elements, but how am I supposed to get the values that were entered by the
>> user? identity_update and identity_create do not provide the additional
>> data to my plugin. And of course the data is not saved automatically.
>
> To get the submitted data simply use $_POST['myvar'] or better
> get_input_value('myvar', RCUBE_INPUT_POST);
>>
>> Second question: When I get the data, how is a plugin supposed to save
>> data? Do I save the data with:
>>
>> rcmail::get_instance()->user->save_prefs(array('key' => $value));
>>
>> or is there a way to save the data right where the identity is saved?
>
> This is up to the plugin developer... either you use user prefs or you
> extend the identities database table. With the latter option you can
> copy the submitted data right into the 'record' property of the
> 'identity_update' hook and they'll be stored with the identities
> record.
>
> Since Roundcube doesn't (yet) provide an install routine or script for
> plugins, you have to mention the schema changes in a README file and
> hope that people read it :-)
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Thank you for your help. Here is the next question:

How is the plugin supposed to now which identity was used to send an
email? the smtp_connect hook doesn't provide the identity that was used
to send a message nor does it provide an email address or message ID.
I think there should be a message ID which invoked the smtp_connect
hook that can be used to determine additional informations about the mail
that is about to be sent. I hope you, or someone else, can help me.

Greetz elm