[RCD] Is it possible to use a separate filter for searching members of LDAP contact group?

Andreas Dick andudi at gmx.ch
Tue Aug 23 20:47:53 CEST 2011

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Andreas Dick <andudi at gmx.ch> wrote:
> > To improve your feedback: please give me the informations:
> > - what server do you use?
> I'm core developer of iRedMail[1] project, it's a free and open source mail
> server solution, works on 7 major Linux/BSD distributions.
well, interesting.

> With iRedMail, you can store mail accounts in OpenLDAP or MySQL.
> We have our own OpenLDAP schema to store mail accounts:

http://code.google.com/p/iredmail/source/browse/iRedMail/samples/iredmail.schema
ok, thats verry proprietarry!

> OpenLDAP has a default attribute "member" for membership, you must use full
> dn as value. If you moved an object to another container, you have to
> update value of attribute 'member'. It's not flexible enough.
yes. RC is handling this. I do not see why it is not flexible enough four you,
but you will have a reason for it.

> We create our own attribute "memberOfGroup" for this purpose, use email
> address as value, each email address can identify an mail user object. So
> that you don't need to care about full dn.
You just do it the other way arround. One problem of your sollution is that
other LDAP addressbook clients can not be used out of the box., a pro is that
group lists and member filters can be made easier.

To conclude: I am looking for a solution like yours, but it shoud use per
default the standard schema features of e.g. a plain OpenLDAP server (like
core.schema).

Andras