[RCD] Upgrading the Roundcube License

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Dec 5 11:30:26 CET 2011

Dear Pedro,

it is not clear to me how a license that explicitly says it is okay not to
contribute back would increase the numbers of contributions back to Roundcube.

>From our perspective as a commercial entity, we have contributed quite a bit
of code for the 0.7 release, and might not have done that under a weaker
license, as we prefer an even footing for all contributors.

So we would likely not agree to a less protective or balanced license.

That said, I don't think that is even a theoretical option. Roundcube
incorporates some major third-party contributions under the GPL which are not
easily relicensed, and obtaining permission from each and everyone one of the
upstream contributors is likely an impossible undertaking.

You are of course welcome to re-write all those parts under a BSD license, but
as a commercial entity we would probably hesitate to contribute to that effort.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve