[RCD] IMAP operations performance

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Tue Dec 6 11:34:28 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 19:40, A.L.E.C <alec at alec.pl> wrote:
> I'm currently working on some improvements in our code e.g. to make
> possible to open a folder with 100k messages and make memory_limit to
> not exceed on this operation.
>
> I've found that we have one optimization for messages listing. It's used
> when skip_deleted=false and message_sort_col='' and no threading. So,
> this is a corner case when we don't need to fetch the list of message
> UIDs nor IDs from server, but we build the array of IDs on range(1,
> $max), see line 1529 of rcube_imap.php.
>
> This solution is good for performance in this one case, but if we could
> get rid of it and always work with UIDs only, we would have much simpler
> code and possibly more performant in other places (including caching)
> because there would be no need for id-to-uid mapping.

Any information about the support of UID search with ranges (e.g. UID
83:*) in the current IMAP servers?

> The problem is that in described case we'd need to call UID SEARCH ALL.
> Even so, I think it's worth to do this. Any thoughts on this?

Would the result of UID SEARCH ALL be small enough to fit into memory?

But in general I think we should follow this idea and if it turns out,
that IMAP backend support is granted, it would certainly simplify
things.

~Thomas