[RCD] New skin - new labels - new translations

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Wed Dec 28 12:28:53 CET 2011

Hi list,

Those who have seen the drafts for the new UI, codename "Larry", may
have noticed that Roundcube will have combined icon & text toolbar
buttons. Now the existing text labels for the toolbar buttons are way
too long to be displayed inline. They worked perfect as hover-titles
but need to be shorter for the inline display. And I'm uncertain how
to approach this change. We could either do one of the following:

A) Change the existing labels to shorter versions
+ There's at least something displayed in every language
- Most of the translations need to be updated with shorter versions
- Hard for a translator to find the labels which need to be shortened
- No alternative longer hover-titles on the buttons or new labels have
to be created for that

B) Define new labels for the short button texts and keep the existing
ones as hover-titles
+ Perfect description of a toolbar button with icon, text and
description (hover)
+ Easy to "track" that new translations are required as launchpad will
show many "untranslated texts"
- Texts will be missing in all translations and English versions will
be displayed until translated

I slightly tend to B) because there are more positive aspects even if
it probably takes longer until all the translations are updated to
form a perfect new UI.

Any votes, opinions or gripes are welcome!

Best,
Thomas