[RCD] public ldap addressbook with groups

Andreas Dick andudi at gmx.ch
Tue Feb 8 21:53:50 CET 2011

> I'm trying to debug one of my plugins. Since changes in the core to ldap
> address book groups it can't work with them anymore. I don't have an ldap
> address book myself and the example on in the config file doesn't appear to
> have any groups. Does anyone know of a public ldap address book with groups
> I could use for my testing?
Hei Phil

I am actually working on the group feature for LDAP addressbook in RC
(together with Thomas). Since I do not know yet any public LDAP addressbook
with group support (please help if you know one) I implemented my own way. For
now, the group feature will work just with the sample LDAP setup described in
the trac wiki here:
	http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Ldap

On the other hand, if you do not activate the groups in the config, your plugin
should not be different than without my patches. If not, please let me know!

If you check the LDAP config array in config/main.inc.php.dist of the latest
SVN, you will find a 'groups' entry already prepared for the sample server
described in the wiki.

If you activate the LDAP groups, one problem is still, that the group ID is in
the LDAP case build different than in the SQL addressbook, it is build as
base64 encoded string of the group name (similar as contact IDs). E.g. I have
allready contact with the maintainer of the contextmenu plugin since this one
is not working yet.

Since the wiki howto is not tested yet and if someone is able to do it, please
let me know about feedback. The meaning is that it should be very easy (or
similar) to setup a LDAP addressbook server working just out of the box with
RC... :-)

thanks
Andreas