[RCD] PHP crash with html email

Julien Vehent julien at linuxwall.info
Tue Jul 5 20:34:59 CEST 2011

 Hi list,
 I've been investigating all morning a weird mailbox crash in roundcube.

 Symptoms: a user contacts me because he/she can't open a folder in the
 webmail. The webmail hangs and finally crashes. On the server, I see a
 php5-cgi process using 99% of cpu. I use spawn-fcgi with nginx so
 killing the crazy process solves the issue, but it reappears if the user
 click on the folder again.

 I had the problems twice already, and it's always caused by a weirdly
 formatted message. Today's message is here: http://pastebin.com/3kKRPvQR

 It's difficult to track down, but I eventually figured out that the
 imap debug log would stop on the guilty message. Removing it, and
 reconstructing the mailbox (in cyrus-imap) fixes the issue.

 I'm wondering if this issue is roundcube related, or a problem with
 php, the content encoding or maybe the weather (!). The system is
 running on Debian Squeeze with roundcube 0.5.2

 Your advice are most welcome.

 Cheers,
 Julien