[RCD] minimum version requirements for plugins

Phil Weir roundcube at tehinterweb.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 11:41:53 CEST 2011

> I think this should be (partly?) handled in a plugin repository. I know
> someone is working on one, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Im
> thinking of developing a plugin repository website that handles things
like
> versions. Ive made an initial email about this some months ago, but I
never
> mailed it because of knowing someone is working on it. But at what point
do
> you consider that project stalled right? And I know their plans work
> considerably different.

The only reason I thought it would be good to handle in inside RC is because
we get feedback from people on the forum who either don't know what version
of RC they have or decide its ok to simply ignore that. Then they get
confused when strange things happen. I'm not suggesting we should do extra
work to deal with those people, it's their fault. But a simple check just to
give them a very clear error message could probably save some time for
everyone.

> I think plugin updates should be visible inside roundcube (like wordpress
and
> others do). There could be a plugin page (created by a plugin even) that
> would list all your plugins, and their version/update status. Preferably
even
> the front page would show an icon that tells you there are updates. This
> could be done by allowing a site administrator to configure certain logins
as
> administrators, which would be the only ones to see the plugin information
> inside RC.  (who knows, maybe eventually we could even allow for
> automated updates like wordpress).

There is something about an admin interface on the plan so I guess that
could go in there.

Phil