[RCD] Translation and Update of RC Documentation in Trac

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Wed Apr 18 00:27:52 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 14:15, Claudio Filho <filhocf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2012/4/17 A.L.E.C <alec at alec.pl>:
>> We try to keep it in sync with svn-trunk version, but it's possible that
>> some information is outdated.
>
> ack.
>
>> I don't think we need translations for development docs. Feel free to
>> update/extend the english version.
>
> I can understand your viewpoint, but i have other opinion about it. I
> see very good programmers that wish to help in open source projects
> but them have the language as a barrier. Maybe for english speakers
> (and programmers) is a non sense thing to program without know the
> english, but for the mass, is the reality.

Hi Claudio

I totally see your point and we're not generally against wiki pages
being translated into other languages. The only concern for us is to
have contents in our wiki which is potentially outdated because the
translators don't keep track of updates in the main/english page and
we don't have any means of controlling and/or enforcing a certain
quality of our documents.

> I think that isn't a problem if you have people that can translate
> this (and other) pages, UI and what can be translated for other
> languages, without costs for the core team and promoting the product
> and the project. Except that isn't an objective for you.

In software development, English language skills are a very basic
requirement and that's why we primarily focus on English. Of course
that doesn't necessarily mean that we strictly deny translations.

> In other hand, i wish update the pages related with installation and
> other stuffs of RC in the wiki, and i haven't permission in open new
> pages. What is the way to create this pages? Do i open new tickets or
> other ways?

Because we had bad experience with spammers filling up our wiki with
nonsense pages, the creation of new wiki pages is restricted to a
specific permission. Just send me your trac username and I'll grant
you this permission because you're obviously a legit user :-)