[RCD] Translation of main pages

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Wed Apr 18 00:40:32 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 14:42, Claudio Filho <filhocf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

Hello Claudio

> In the same way of Trac, i ask too about the main site. Do you have
> interesting in translate for other languages?
>
> I explain my interesting in this questions, to try give my viewpoint
> about this question.
>
> [...]
>
> Returning to point, the main page for this two projects, are scripts
> that build the pages, where the sources are txt files easily
> translatable, and using the httpd negociation to present the content
> in the native language of user that is browsing the pages, or english,
> if haven't in his language. I think that a good strategy for RC,
> including respect for potencial users and volunteers. What you think?

It's basically the same answer as I just gave in the wiki page
translation discussion. When I look at the translation status of the
language packages of Roundcube itself, I see many of them having less
than 50% of the texts translated because somebody once contributed a
translation but then lost interest and stopped translating newly added
texts. And we actually don't want to follow that road with our
website.

Furthermore, the current Roundcube website is a very basic set of html
pages without a sophisticated CMS running the the background which
would allow us to easily make the site multi-lingual. Some non-English
communities helped themselves by setting up their own mirror website
such as roundcube.ru. This is also what I'd suggest as a short-term
solution. Once we found some time to rebuild our website with a CMS
that has these multi-lingual capabilities we'd certainly appreciate
contributions as you suggested them.

Many thanks for your interest!

Thomas