[RCD] Format of GitHub messages in SVN list

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Wed Dec 12 19:18:48 CET 2012

Am 12.12.2012 18:14, schrieb Michael Heydekamp:

> Anyway, that leads me to a different question in terms of composing
> messages with Roundcube in general: Is there any chance to check the content
> of a message upon sending and to declare the "least invasive" charset,
> rather than blindly declaring UTF-8 no matter what?
>
> I'm using the plugin "sendcharset" to avoid blindly declaring UTF-8 always,
> but this approach is as blind as well (because if I should use characters
> outside ISO-8859-1, they will not been transfered and displayed correctly -
> but just as "?").
>
> I can see that you are declaring "us-ascii" with your message (how did you
> do that?) and are using "Roundcube
> Webmail/0.9-0.15.git0fa54df6.el6.kolab_3.0". Did you already implement a
> routine that is checking the body of a message and then declaring the least
> invasive charset?

Ha, got it!

I just sent a message to this list, deliberately (and unnecessarily)
declared as UTF-8, although it did contain 7bit chars only (I replaced the
"ü" in my default signature for this list with "ue" to achieve that).

So it has been sent to the list with those headers:

headers:

Well, THAT'S amazing! Because it does mean that there must be a routine in
Mailman which is able to determine a sort of "least invasive" charset.

If Mailman has such a routine, can't we use it in Roundcube as well?

This message is another test in so far as it will again be declared as
UTF-8, but it will still contain an "ü" (i.e. 8bit characters) in the body
as well as in the signature.

If Mailman is really clever, it should now change "UTF-8" into
"ISO-8859-1". We'll see... (I can only tell after I sent this message.)

Cheers,
--
Michael Heydekamp
Co-Admin freexp.de