[RCD] three column layout plugin

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:57:51 CET 2012

Phil Weir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There has been a patch on the forum for a while to give Roundcube a three
> column layout. Using the render page hook this can also be done with a
> plugin. The advantage of this is that it can then be an option, users can
> pick if they want their preview pane below or on the right of the message
> list.
>
> This works fine with the default skin but there is one problem doing it with
> the larry skin. The splitter between the message list and the preview pane
> is defined in ui.js rather than inline like with default. Attached patch
> makes it so that plugins can access the splitter in the larry skin and also
> adds a hook so that plugins can change the properties of the splitter before
> it is initialised. I'm not sure if it's the best was to change ui.js, if
> anyone has any better ideas please let me know.

I see the point but I'd suggest another approach to this: The
rcube_splitter is now robust enough to fail silently if the referenced
objects do not exist. For your plugin I suggest to name the containers
differently and then initialize your own instance of the splitter. Also the
button to show/hide the preview pane should be named other than
#mailpreviewtoggle in order to avoid the default behavior of ui.js

> Is changing ui.js like my patch does or some similar way something the devs
> would consider? If not then I don't think there is any point in a plugin
> like this, people can just stick to using a patch or a whole different skin.

ui.js is currently not meant to be altered or extended but if there are
more such requests we'll definitely consider to add more public properties
and callbacks.

> Why use a patch/plugin rather than a whole different skin? It's only a
> couple of changes that are needed to move the preview pane. It seems a
> little over the top to make a whole new skin just to move one div. Using a
> plugin allows users to have an option about the layout of the screen like in
> Outlook or Thunderbird.

I definitely agree to this.

~Thomas