[RCD] github

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Mon Feb 13 12:30:50 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 18:20, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)
<vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> wrote:
> On 2012-02-11 17:43, Cor Bosman wrote:
>>>
>>> We would indeed be running gitorious for Thomas, so that he could
>>> administer the users / ssh keys allowed to push to such-and-such
>>> branches himself.
>>
>> So does that mean only specific people can use the interface?
>>

> gitorious - if that's what Thomas wants, and he's making the decisions
> around here ;-) - allows git:// just as much as ssh:// (in the
> git at host:repo.git fashion), and granular control to committing to
> branches (stable vs. development vs. topic branches vs. etc.). The web
> interface though, which is what you are talking about, is where the
> features are. It uses a different push url to push out a patch for
> review, essentially creating a new working copy of the repository on the
> server. Public (anonymous) and/or private (authenticated) access being
> provided -should Thomas want either or both- is not the issue.

I totally see the benefits of the feature-rich github platform and
providing an easy way to fork and push back commits would hopefully
encourage more contributors. Currently the licensing and patent
concerns of an USA-hosted github shouldn't bother us too much. That
said, our current SVN server is also located in the US of A anyways.
Using gitorious on a privately hosted server would be an option as
well but it obviously doesn't provide as much of the social coding
features as github does.

I'd definitely like to keep trac for wiki, bug tracking and roadmap
planning but AFAIK it can easily connect to github.

Any other pros and cons are very welcome!

~Thomas