[RCD] Breaking the 'mail' / 'addressbook' divide in Roundcube

Ian Lewis ijl20 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 29 15:52:37 CET 2012

To provide a brief answer to my own question, providing 'contacts list'
functionality on the same page as emails in Roundcube requires an
overhaul of the core logic (unless a replacement addressbook is
written). The challenge is simply illustrated if you try and place
<roundcube:object name='addresslist'> on the 'mail' template. Basic
issues seem to be:

* existing 'shared' logic is hard-coded with tests for task='mail'
(populating a template with a list of messages) and task='addressbook'
(providing a list of contacts) so that would need to be engineered out
to allow use of existing 'addressbook' and 'mail' code on the same page.

* a small number of the php files in program/steps/mail and
program/steps/addressbook have the same name (e.g. list.php) with other
code doing an include of program/steps/$task/list.php so the name clash
would need files (and their references) renaming.

* the 'mail' page assumes an action 'list' means 'list emails' while the
'addressbook' page assumes the same command 'list' means 'list
contacts'. As far as I can tell this would need re-structuring to use
different command names for the two functions for the lists to coexist
on the same page (I am re-writing the code to use 'listcontacts' instead
of 'list' for the contacts list command.)

Ian