[RCD] Add a field to contacts table to reflect the contact source

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Sat Jan 7 13:58:19 CET 2012

Hello devs

Regarding the feature request in ticket
http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1488294 I'd like to discuss the proposed
change here. While I totally understand the concern about copying the
complete data structure for contacts and groups for every plugin which adds
a new address source to Roundcube, I still fear that such a change will
make it harder for the core development to deploy changes to these tables
once 3rd party components also make use of it. We'd like to stay autonomous
and our only concern should be to keep the plugin API backwards compatible.

In my opinion, every plugin which doesn't directly operate on the internal
address book data should build up it's very own storage. If it's a remote
address book for example, one could make use of the new rcube_cache class
to maintain a local copy in order speedup reading and writing. But maybe
I'm wrong with this...

Any votes or arguments for or against the proposed change?

Best,
Thomas