[RCD] three column layout plugin

Phil Weir roundcube at tehinterweb.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 15:18:30 CET 2012

Hi,

There has been a patch on the forum for a while to give Roundcube a three
column layout. Using the render page hook this can also be done with a
plugin. The advantage of this is that it can then be an option, users can
pick if they want their preview pane below or on the right of the message
list.

This works fine with the default skin but there is one problem doing it with
the larry skin. The splitter between the message list and the preview pane
is defined in ui.js rather than inline like with default. Attached patch
makes it so that plugins can access the splitter in the larry skin and also
adds a hook so that plugins can change the properties of the splitter before
it is initialised. I'm not sure if it's the best was to change ui.js, if
anyone has any better ideas please let me know.

Is changing ui.js like my patch does or some similar way something the devs
would consider? If not then I don't think there is any point in a plugin
like this, people can just stick to using a patch or a whole different skin.

Why use a patch/plugin rather than a whole different skin? It's only a
couple of changes that are needed to move the preview pane. It seems a
little over the top to make a whole new skin just to move one div. Using a
plugin allows users to have an option about the layout of the screen like in
Outlook or Thunderbird.

Thanks,

Phil

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---