[RCD] LDAP addressbook : uid or mail as RDN?

lists at nrd.fr lists at nrd.fr
Mon Jan 30 14:45:44 CET 2012

Hi RC-Dev list,

I'm setting up an LDAP shared address book and while googling for
information I
found this thread in your archives (I wasn't a list member then):

- http://lists.roundcube.net/mail-archive/dev/2011-10/0000015.html
(oct 2011)
- http://lists.roundcube.net/mail-archive/dev/2011-11/0000000.html
(nov 2011)

Please let me add a few comments to this thread. I Hope this is the
right
place to post and that my English is good enough. Forgive me
otherwise.

1. UID or Email as RDN?
-----------------------

When working with small companies and/or workgroups it's quite
frequent to see
several people sharing a single email address, typically something
like
"little_company at some_big_isp.tld". This is my everyday experience with
small
companies and small local administrations too (I live in a rural
area).

Using mail as the RDN makes it impossible to add more than one contact
in
such situations, even if you want them because, in spite of a common
work mail
address, different people still have different mobile numbers,
different home
mail addresses, etc.

So, IMO it would probably be better to use a dynamically generated UID
as RDN.

2. RC writing data to the address book
--------------------------------------

How would RC know how to build new UID's compatible with a specific
setup?

IMO the main advantage with LDAP is having mail clients being able to
read a
shared address book. Getting RC writing to the directory doesn't look
that
important to me: suppose you get the feature to work with RC, as an
admin
you are left with the same problem for each other client you may
want/need
to support at your company. Until there is some standard address book
schema
that every client should support, but I don't know of any right now.

So, IMO a much simpler approach is to stick with a dedicated
application to
setup and manage the address book, and look for good read capabilities
of
mail clients. I mean that more flexibility in the way RC can do the
mapping
between LDAP attributes and contact fields is IMO the most important
feature
to focus on.

Personally I use "Contagged" to manage contacts of the LDAP address
book:
- http://www.cosmocode.de/en/opensource/contagged
-
http://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2007-06/27-contagged_the_ldap_address_book

It is a free application from the same developer who wrote DokuWiki:
- http://www.dokuwiki.org

This application does a good job for small companies, and it would be
great
if there was a simple way to make RC read more fields from the address
book,
display tags (Contagged provides tags) as RC "groups", etc.

Please let me know if there is a better or more standard way to get
these
things done: I'm rather new to this LDAP stuff.

Thanks a lot to all RC developers, you do have a great application :-)

Beñat