[RCD] Trouble with memcached, debian, etc. -- sort of fixed in rcube_session.php?

till till at php.net
Sat Jan 7 19:15:12 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Rob Sheldon <rob at associatedtechs.com> wrote:

> **
>
> On Jan 07 2012 08:50 am, till wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Bruederli <roundcube at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Rob Sheldon wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Finally decided to get memcached up and running with Roundcube --
>> > awesome work there.
>> >
>> > I ran into a problem getting it to go at first though. Turned on all
>> > the logging in memcache and found this relevant bit:
>> >
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > In rcube_session.php, I mucked about with the first line of
>> > mc_destroy(), changing it to:
>> >
>> >      $ret = $this->memcache->delete($key, 0);
>> >
>> > ...which makes everything happy, despite being incorrect.
>>
>> I don't have a problem adding this to your code and becoming "incorrect"
>> unless anybody else reports problems with that change. PHP usually doesn't
>> complain about additional arguments passed to a function call, only if
>> there are too few arguments passed.
>>
>> +1 for the change: http://docs.php.net/manual/en/memcache.delete.php
> This states that it's not recommend to use the timeout paramter, but using
> 0 is safe and shouldn't break anything anywhere else.
> Till
>

> ...assuming that the PHP dev team doesn't change their mind later, which, y'know, never happens...

Memcache is not a core extension but since a lot of contributors to it are
familiar with (or neck-deep in) the PHP process, follows BC principles
throughout. If you have any issues, I can put you in touch with people who
work on it. I happen to know a few of them. Just let me know. ;)

> I also had to make a similar change in /program/include/rcube_cache.php:
>

>     private function delete_record($key, $index=true)
>
>     {
>
>         if ($this->type == 'memcache')
>
>             $this->db->delete($this->ckey($key), 0);
>

> ...otherwise, the first time you sign out, you can't sign back in again. Looks like Roundcube tries to delete a previous cache id during login.
>

> Those are the only two changes I've needed to make and everything has worked great so far. I try not to alter Roundcube's code at all (makes future upgrades a little less easy) but memcache was just too tempting.
>

> Thanks,
>

> - R.

+1 for that change as well.

Till